* Great Sites/Free Stuff *
CollegeCatholics.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, iTunes, Chocolate.com and the Conservative Book Club Programs, and other affilate advertising programs designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com, endless.com, conservativebookclub.com and other vendor sites. The following offers and resources are not made by or on behalf of CollegeCatholics.com but are provided below to our visitors for your convenience and consideration.
CLICK HERE: Get 3 Books for $1 each
Great Sites for Free/Low-cost Catholic MaterialsThese sites will provide free or low cost materials for the asking to assist you in the continuing development of your faith. Did you find another site that you want to share? Send us the link and we’ll check it out.
1. FOCUS (Fellowship of Catholic University Students). Chances are good that you already know about this one, but just in case you don't, race to their "Resources" page, download the great giveaways, and please don't leave this site before signing up for their free e-newsletter!
2. CatholiCity. Order free catholic CDs and novels online or avail yourself of the many online resources offered through the courtesy and generosity of the Mary Foundation.
3. Knights of Columbus. Free online courses and booklets on the Catholic faith available from this venerable, faithful organization.
4. Catholic Sampler. Free samples, news and special offers from St. Anthony Messenger Press.
5. Catholic Stuff Free. Much is offered free of charge here but magazines and some items may require a subscription or a trial subscription.
6. Tan Books. This Catholic publisher offers wonderful books and pamphlets at low cost, many for under $10, and provides discounts on multiple copies of the same item – a great benefit when ordering for roommates, friends and families too.
7. Catholic Resource Center Online. This site provides a wealth of information about the Catholic faith and offers several free books including St. Louis deMontfort's "The Secret of the Rosary." A modest donation is requested to cover the costs of shipping and handling.
8. The President’s Council on Bioethics. Not a “Catholic” site per se but much of their work concerns the sanctity-of-life ethic that Catholics deem central to their faith. Copies of its many reports, including Human Cloning and Human Dignity: An Ethical Inquiry, Reproduction and Responsibility, Taking Care: Ethical Caregiving in Our Aging Society and Beyond Therapy: Biotechnology and the Pursuit of Happiness, can be downloaded free online.
9. The Catholic Home Study Service. This free, educational service is courtesy of the Vincentian community and the Missouri Knights of Columbus. It has offered Catholics a program of home study for seventy years!
10. Catholics Come Home. This site offers a free book entitled Rediscovering Catholicism for those uncertain or curious about the faith.
10 Catholic Must-Reads!
The emphasis on reading Scripture cannot be overstated and all Catholics are strongly encouraged to read the Holy Bible daily. In addition, all Catholics should have and consult on a frequent basis the Catechism of the Catholic Church. The following books are also widely-read and can be very helpful to an authentic Catholic understanding of your faith. They are relevant, substantive works that should be in the libraries of every Catholic today. The following list is not intended to be exhaustive nor definitive but merely suggestive as there are many significant Catholic works, many classic ones, that Catholic Christians seeking truth, faith, hope and wisdom can add to their personal collections and read to inspire their minds, inflame their hearts and infuse their souls with understanding and appreciation of the depths of our faith. Has one such work touched or transformed your life in a profound way? If so, send us your story (in Word format only) and we may feature it here on our website. All submissions become the exclusive property of CollegeCatholics.com.
1. Introduction to Christianity by Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger.
2. Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis.
3. Deus Caritas Est (“God is Love”) by Pope Benedict XVI
4. Truth and Tolerance by Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger
5. In the Presence of Our Lord by Fr. Benedict Groeschel, C.F.R. and James Monti
6. Love and Responsibility by Karol Wojtya (Pope John Paul II)
7. The Imitation of Christ by T. Kempis
9. Caritas in Veritate by Pope Benedict XVI
Excellent Sites for General Catholic Information1. The Vatican Website. http://www.vatican.va/phome_en.htm The site also includes a helpful index of the writings of each Pope.
2. U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops. http://www.nccbuscc.org This site contains a wealth of information about the Roman Catholic Church in America and the many issues it faces. A variety of informative and official publications can be ordered here.
3. Busted Halo. www.bustedhalo.com An informative, contemporary, online spiritual magazine for seekers in their 20’s and 30’s.
4. The Cardinal Newman Society. www.cardinalnewmansociety.org All Catholic students should follow this site and subscribe to its free e-mail news and article service. "In Idea of a University, John Henry Cardinal Newman argued that the university is dedicated to the search and transmission of all truth, including the fundamental truths revealed by Christ through His Church. Newman's thought and Pope John Paul II's 1990 Apostolic Constitution on Catholic higher education, Ex corde Ecclesiae, guide all efforts of The Cardinal Newman Society.
5. First Things. www.firstthings.com The website for the renowned monthly Journal of Religion, Culture and Public Life published by the Institute for Religion and Public Life.
6. America. www.americamagazine.org A Jesuit magazine providing American Catholics with an insightful, inspirational and informative weekly publication for over 100 years!
7. Catholic News Service. www.catholicnews.com This “editorially independent” catholic news service is a “financially self-sustaining division of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops” that provides news to Vatican Radio and over 60 nations worldwide.
8. Catholic Answers. www.catholic.com This site proclaims itself to be “the largest catholic community on the web” and its tremendous resources leave little doubt as to the sincerity of its claim.
9. God’s Plan for A Joy-Filled Marriage. www.joyfilledmarriagenj.org An excellent site hosted by Damon and Melanie Owens that offers a unique and wonderful set of workbooks, audios and videos on the depth and meaning of the Sacrament of Marriage.
10. Our Sunday Visitor. www.osv.com Great site worth checking out frequently!
11. American Catholic. www.americancatholic.org A terrific site from the Franciscans featuring St. Anthony’s Messenger Press products, including the popular Catholic Update feature.
12. Catholic Online. http://www.catholic.org A variety of news, faith and social resources, including free e-mail, for Catholics and all Christians.
13. EWTN Global Catholic Network. http://www.ewtn.com Mother Angelica and the Eternal World Television Network provide wonderful resources for Catholics – period!
14. Catholic Culture. www.catholicculture.org This site from Trinity Communications provides a comprehensive review of over 570 Catholic internet sites and asks for just “15 minutes per day” to help you learn more about your faith.
15. New Advent. www.newadvent.org A Catholic Supersite with great resources.
16. Catholic Online. www.catholic.org Terrific articles on contemporary issues of faith, culture and politics with good coverage of the Pope’s current comments on many issues of our time.
17. Once Catholic. www.oncecatholic.org For those who are slipping in their faith and those who remain unfulfilled after leaving the Church.
18. Catholic League. www.catholicleague.org Website confronts many secular and contemporary attacks on Christians and the R.C. Church and energetically defends the Church and religious rights today in the public square. Articles and resources are numerous and very informative.
19. St. Thomas More Law Center. www.thomasmore.org A tremendous group of dedicated lawyers committed to religious freedom and Catholic ideals that will awaken your sensibilities to the many assaults on Christianity in general, and Catholics in particular, that require constitutional vigilance and redress in the court systems of America. Some describe them as the Catholic answer to the ACLU!
20. Catholic Parents Online. www.catholicparents.org Their Mission is "[t]o build a network of faithful, dynamic, and informed parents, students, and alumni, committed to working with Catholic schools, other programs of education and the community at large, to ensure the authentic teaching and protection of our Catholic Faith, and to address issues that undermine our Catholic Faith and Morals." Their Motto, a quotation from Pope John Paul II, is to "[m]aintain the Truth lovingly and always love truthfully."
All catholic college students should be familiar with the following informative, pro-life sites notwithstanding your personal views on abortion.
Priests for Life www.priestsforlife.org An award-winning website by an officially approved association of Catholic clergy that affords particular emphasis to the pro-life teachings of the Roman Catholic Church.
National Catholic Bioethics Center www.ncbcenter.org "The National Catholic Bioethics Center (NCBC), established in 1972, conducts research, consultation, publishing and education to promote human dignity in health care and the life sciences, and derives its message directly from the teachings of the Catholic Church."
Students for Life www.aclife.org The nation’s oldest student-run, pro-life, non-profit organization wholly dedicated to educating the college student about the medical and ethical issues pertaining to abortion, euthanasia and infanticide.
Feminists for Life www.feministsforlife.org Visit this site if you “believe in the strength of women and the potential for every human life.”
Libertarians for Life www.l4l.org This site’s Library is a must-see for all seeking the truth about abortion and the status of the human embryo.
Human Life International. www.hli.org Provides a solid, global perspective to the many issues involved in the public debate over the dignity of every human being.
Catholic Family and Human Rights Institute. www.c-fam.org A non-partisan, non-profit research and educational institute that focuses on and monitors international social policy from the catholic perspective.
American Life League www.all.org An excellent Roman Catholic pro-life group that supports pro-life concerns through education, legislation, magazines and news releases.
Population Research Institute. www.pop.org A non-profit research and educational organization founded in 1989 that is dedicated to objectively presenting the truth about life- and population-related issues.
Physicians for Life. www.physiciansforlife.org. A compelling site for obvious reasons.
Life Education And Research Network (“L.E.A.R.N.”)/Northeast Chapter. A sobering look at the effects of abortion on the African-American community in America that also purports to pay tribute to the ideals of Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. This site is guaranteed to make you think long and hard about abortion!! www.blackgenocide.org
Abortion Facts. www.abortionfacts.com A wonderful site with lots of information for the pro-life veteran as well as the student who is new to the abortion debate. Quality information provided.
The Elliot Institute. www.AfterAbortion.org A great resource for those who want to explore the after-effects of abortion and post-abortion healing.
Rachel’s Vineyard. www.rachelsvineyard.org A Catholic ministry that offers post-abortion healing and counseling on a confidential basis by trained personnel. Recognizes that men are also affected by abortion and offers services to both men and women.
Silent No More Awareness Campaign. www.silentnomoreawareness.org The Silent No More Awareness Campaign is an effort that is sponsored jointly by Anglicans for Life and Priests for Life to make the public aware of the devastation abortion brings to women, men and families. The actual testimonies that bear witness are insightful and compelling!
The Center for Bio-Ethical Reform. www.AbortionNO.org A privately-funded, non-profit educational organization that offers a graphic, cutting-edge approach “to establish prenatal justice and the right to life for the unborn, the disabled, the infirm, the aged and all vulnerable peoples.” It is the sponsoring organization for the Genocide Awareness Project (“GAP”) that exhibits at college campuses throughout the United States.